Thursday, April 25, 2013

Harina, Madrid

Visiting new places is always exciting.  I never know what’s in store.  My last visit to Madrid, I discovered Harina Cafe at the Plaza Independencia,   This was my third visit to Madrid and had passed by this plaza numerous times and never noticed this place existed until my last visit in Spring 2012.   

My son, Chad who was living in Madrid at that time was the one who introduced me to this place.  He had been here with his friend for some Cafe' con leche (coffee with milk).  He knew Harina would appeal to me so he took me here.  I immediately fell in love with the place as I spotted a bike parked inside leaning gently against the counter; the bike’s basket cleverly disguised as a magazine rack.  What a great idea!  I love bikes so I was immediately drawn to it.  

Harina's interior just appealed to me.  The white post gave it character, especially the white color palate -- it gave it a modern/rustic feel.  It was very inviting.  The tables and chairs were also different -- no two were alike. 

For those of you who have visited Madrid, you know it’s quite expensive.  The Euros doesn’t go very far.  But, it’s always good to at least try something.  I wanted to save my appetite for lunch so I didn’t order anything too heavy, but rather something healthy.  Ensalada de frutas temporada is what appealed to me.  It’s basically apples and strawberries with caramel over it.  Just a simple dish. Loved it!  

I will definitely return to Harina when I visit again.  It’s a great place to hang out for awhile especially if you are waiting for the bus or metro.  Better yet, grab a sandwich and some pastries and head over to Parque del Retiro (Madrid's Central Park) for a picnic.  

         Location: Plaza de la Independencia, 10 28014 Madrid

bike disguised as a magazine rack


Ensalada de frutas temporada (green apples and strawberries with sweet caramel)


breakfast just before our bike ride around Madrid
view of Plaza de Independencia
Zumo de naranja de natural (orange juice)
Cafe' con leche (coffee with milk) 
tostada con mantequilla y mermelada (toast with butter and marmalade)
Parque del Retiro (My favorite park in Madrid) 




No comments:

Post a Comment